What is SSL?
SSL is an abbreviation for (Secure Sockets Layer). SSL technology is developed by Netscape.
SSL has been created for exchanging private documents on the internet. All popular web browsers support SSL Technology, for the protection of personal information (such as credit card information, passwords). SSL is now very popular. Through SSL, an encrypted connection is established primarily between the web server (host) and the web browser (user). If you are connected to a web server, no third person will be able to understand your activities.
How works SSL?
- When a browser wants to connect a web server with SSL certificates, then the web browser gives its identity before connecting with server.
- Then the web server sends its web certificate to the browser.
- Then the browser checks the web server to be trusted and sends a message to the web server.
- Then the browser and the web server shows digitally encrypted data.
- This compatibility shows only the web browser and the web server, displaying data trustable among themselves and it shows the data security of the browser web server.
How to Identify the SSL Certified Website?
The URL of the SSL certified website starts with HTTPS but not the only HTTP. So when you see HTTPS on your website URL then you think it's verified on SSL certificate. HTTPS, in here the last "S" means a secure server.
Benefits of Having SSL Certificates: There are many benefits to having SSL on your website.
- There is no fear of providing personal information. Personal information such as credit card, username, password are required on the website, And this information goes to your receipts by passing multiple PCs, If there is a hacker in it, then your valuable information can go to them. Internet only shows you and recipient information when it's encrypted. When the information is transmitted through a website that has SSL certificates. If you send information via SSL certificate, then you can be sure that it is not visible to anyone other than the recipient.
- SSL trust increases: SSL gives a green signal at the beginning of the website, which gives a message of security to the visitor. Anyone can't take any information from you or your visitors through the phishing attack on the SSL Enabled Web site. It makes the visitor's credible for your website.
- Undeclared Brand Promote: SSL increases the visitor's trust, so your brand will automatically engage the visitor. Information Technology experts believe that SSL works as the undeclared brand of any digital company.
How SSL beneficial for SEO?
SSL ensures security within your website and user. On the other hand, Google likes Secure Sites. Google officially announced that it will give more importance in the future.
Google's Web Master Analyst declares,
"Over the past few months, we’ve been running tests taking into account whether sites use secure, encrypted connections as a signal in our search ranking algorithms. We've seen positive results, so we're starting to use HTTPS as a ranking signal."
That's why SSL certified websites will be ranked above Google ranking. Who does not want to accept it without any hassle?
SSL works as additional security for your website. If you have created your website as a membership site or by taking a user's data through a form, and if your web portal is secure then the third person will not be able to know the information.
Types of SSL
SSL is of various types. But there are three types of SSL based on validation.
These types of SSL usually validate the domain based on your email address or DNS record. Originally you are the owner of the domain name, its job is to verify it. Those who do not need institutional recognition, they can use these types of SSL. It can be activated only within a few hours.
The difference between domain validation and organization validation is that domain validation only provides domain certification. On the other hand, organizational validation gives an institutional address, location and many other validations. It usually takes 2-3 days to validate it.
Extended Validation is very important for any transaction through the website. Most banks or companies involved in financial activities use it and this provides the most popular or trusted green signal. It usually takes 7-10 days to activate this service.
Depending on the security domain (number), SSL can be divided into several sections.
Single Name SSL certificate
Only one domain can validate this SSL. No subdomain can validate it.
Wildcard SSL Certificate
It can also validate all subdomains under a domain. For example,
Multi-domain SSL Certificate
Multi-domain SSL Certificate can certify multiple domains and subdomains. This applies to those who run a few business or blogs together.
How to use SSL on your website?
To use SSL in your domain, you will need to purchase SSL from your or any other web host provider. Then you have to set it up via cPanel. In addition to the cPanel, you can set up SSL through ZPane, Vesta Control Panel or Webuzo.
How to install SSL via cPanel?
- Go to your cPanel option.
- Then the private key settings will be required.
- Now you have to set up the CSR (Certificate Signing Request). From here you will issue SSL.
- Now login to your purchased SSL Customer Panel. Here you can find out the CSR. After submitting the CSR, a link will be sent to your email, if everything is verified, then all the work is complete. (Sometimes code verification may be required, in which case you get the code in your mail)
- After verification, your mail will arrive in the SSL code. Then copy this SSL code from your email and go to your cPanel, click to “install SSL” to complete your work.
Your website will now show the SSL certificate green signal. (Note: After you install SSL, HTTP must be redirected to https.)
If there is any question about SSL or if you need help, please comment or contact us.